Bridges of Indiana's Counties - Hamilton - #23 Potter's Ford

Potter's Covered Bridge, Noblesville, IN
7/30/2011       dwm photo
It's the last of covered bridges built in Hamilton County to keep feet dry as an alternative to trudging through the Potter's Ford.

According to the county's history books, the land where it was built was owned by the Potter family, hence the name.

In 1870, when construction was authorized the county was growing fast, requiring better roads to serve the population.

Josiah Durfee built the two span bridge over the White River.  It closed to vehicle traffic during its 100th anniversary.

The two span bridge stretches 259 feet.
dwm photo
It was restored in 1998 and became the focal point of the park which grew up around it.  Today the bridge is part of the White River Greenway trail used by pedestrians and bicyclists.

The day of my visit was overcast. 

Because the park developed around the bridge it retains its authenticity with an added benefit of different points to see the bridge.

I loved it.  Quite a way downstream, I scrambled down to the shore to take the photo above left.  Many other bridges don't offer these opportunities.

Howe Truss Style             (dwm)
I was taking a number of shots when I heard a sound behind me.

Holding my camera close to my face as I turned, I was 20 feet away as a mother deer and her fawn stepped into the water.

They hardly turned their heads as I pressed the shutter.

The two crossed the ford like those pioneers did in the years before the bridge, the young deer following its mother's footsteps.

Mother and fawn at Potter's Bridge
7/30/2011    (dwm)
It was an amazing series of moments, the first time I was close to nature with a camera at the ready.

I took a series of pictures as they crossed the river. 

Hamilton County, IN
internet image
The deer are what comes to mind when I think of Potter's Bridge.

It's a beautiful bridge in a gorgeous setting and worth a visit to Noblesville to check it out.

Bridge Facts:
Potter's Covered Bridge
Built: 1870
Style:  Howe Truss
Length:  259 feet over the West Fork of the White River

Comments