Vacation Photos

Old Mackinaw Point Lighthouse, Mackinaw, Michigan
At every lighthouse I search for angles not yet seen.  The day before
we arrived in Mackinaw at the White River Lighthouse I noticed the sun practically
piercing the lantern with a beam of light. 
But there wasn't enough room to backup and frame the shot.
I was excited when the time and angle came together in Mackinaw.
After going through more than a dozen shots, I used a filter over this photo to create
the image of a light more powerful than a beacon.
9/20/2017 dwm photo
This is the last of my vacation related blogs.

Except for lighthouses. They will appear on the horizon every Saturday morning at 7:30 Central Time until the end of the year.

Since I can't show you 3 hours of slides... I wanted to share some of my favorite pictures from our adventure around Lake Michigan...
Mackinac Bridge over the Straits of Mackinac
After we checked into our hotel in Mackinac we decided to take a tourist trolleys to see the area and figure
out what we might want to visit the next two days.  It was after 6 pm, we were at the south end of the bridge when
the window and a rider framed the bridge within the window. 
I think the reflection on the window adds a three dimension effect to the shot.
9/19/2017   dwm photo

Sunrise over Lake Huron, Mackinaw City
I was carrying suitcases to the car when the bright orange disc started rising out of the water.
After throwing the first load in the car, I ran back to the room to grab my camera. 
It stunned me how quickly the sun rose above the lake.
9/22/2017  dwm photo

Mt. Baldy, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
The footprints in the sand shouldn't be in the picture, the trail was closed.  The trail ran around the giant dune,
winding its way to the shore - where from my perspective - the mix of three colors; blue, green, and sandy white 
created a dramatic picture of stark natural beauty.
9/17/2017  dwm photo

Arch Rock, Mackinac Island
I didn't realize this look up at the Arch Rock was even possible when I saw the sign
pointing the way up 207 steps to view the natural landmark.  It was cool
seeing it at eye level, but not as imposing as it appears from the
shoreline of the M-185 highway.
9/20/2017  dwm photo

Manistee North Pierhead Light, Manistee, Michigan
Several Lake Michigan Lighthouses feature a long catwalk above the water line to the lighthouse.
At the top of the stairs, a sign said "Keep Out."   I did. 
I stayed on my side of the fence seven feet above the pier's concrete surface. After five minutes, I climbed down.
A quiet Lake Michigan stretches 60 miles west to Wisconsin.  On a day like this it looks
like a fun boat ride.  On days when those keepers needed this catwalk, I can't imagine leaving the harbor.
9/19/2017   dwm photo

Comments