Riding North Michigan

Early color in North Michigan
9/21/2017 dwm
While doing the usual sight-seeing  in Mackinac City - I noticed a small strip of asphalt running between hotels and parking lots.  It looked like a bike trail, but I didn't know how long it was or where it might go.

It turns out Mackinac is where two trails, the North Western and North Eastern trails, meet.

The Eastern time zone pushed sunrise back on the clock later than I'm used to, so I couldn't take off until 7:30.

Sunrise over Paradise Lake, northern Michigan. (dwm)
Over nearly 7 miles, I crossed just three roads (one gravel) and passed one home.

The trail was quiet after an overnight rain.  Fallen leaves added an extra hush on my trip to Carp Lake.

Carp Lake is tiny community on the west end of Paradise Lake.  No, I don't know why the names don't match, and didn't see anyone to ask.

With no bakery or diner in sight, I munched a protein bar, and returned north.

The North Western State
Trail, Michigan  (dwm)
The ride, three weeks ago by the time this goes live, provided my first look at fall foliage.  Trees lined the trail, leaves falling gently around me.

The down and back ride was short, sweet, memorable, and special.  This was really the first time a bike was packed for a vacation, and I'm thankful there were stretches of time I could use it.

The trail is well-maintained and the route, mostly free of intersections gave an out-of-state biker a very enjoyable trip.

In the midst of natural and man-made tourist attractions around Mackinac - I relished the chance to get close to what the state likes to call, "Pure Michigan."

Comments