End of My Cable

Bridge over Mud Creek on the 3 Eagle Trail.  (9/23/17 dwm)
The fourth and final vacation ride was on one of the warmest late September days in recent memory.  The day's expected low, 64, is usually the high temp instead of the upper 80s.

Given the forecast, I left early to explore a county trail between Three Lakes and Eagle River, Wisconsin.

The Three Eagle Trail offers a way between the two communities away from busy U.S. 45.

Before getting on the trail, I grabbed breakfast at the 3 Lakes Diner which was at least a two-way winner: quality and price.

Black Spruce Boardwalk.
dwm
Much of the trail crosses private land.  This land offers much more than the typical Rail to Trail.  It zigs and zags through wetlands and a pine forest managed for paper production.

Justified and well-deserved praise goes to the developers of the trail.  There are three significant boardwalks and one of the prettiest locations for a bike bridge I ever saw.

There is a mile and a half gap in the trail, but the country road filling that hole was quiet.  It was along this stretch the sounds of my bike spooked a couple deer which galloped off as I passed.
North end of the Cranberry Boardwalk.
dwm

The last three miles finished close to the old train depot in Eagle River.

Eagle River is known as the snowmobile capital and hosts annual races.  With trails like this, the area will be seen as a hub for bikes.

It was a great ride to wrap up my trip, and apparently just in time. As I down-shifted upon the return to my motel, the lower gear cable snapped in two, thankfully it was at the end of the ride.

Comments