Driving Michigan

Chocolate Cole at Schoop's
 9/16/17 dwm photo
Admittedly the first experience driving up Michigan's west-side didn't even happen there.

But, if the city is named Michigan City and is just a few miles from the state line... it is as close as you can get to being there.

Vacations mean new things and new experiences.  For some reason, prior to walking in a vintage family diner called Schoop's I had never had a Chocolate Coke.

That's another thing I can cross off my list.  It's pretty good.  Start with Coca-Cola, add chocolate syrup.  Stir. Serve cold.  I liked it, but will confess it is too sweet for my taste these days.  I'm glad I gave it a shot.

On to Michigan...

The heart of Holland, MI
9/19/2017  dwm
Half-way through day one of driving north along Lake Michigan we stopped in Holland for the Harbor Lighthouse, lunch, and a taste of Dutch life.

The 250 year old windmill imported from Holland (the last vintage one the government allowed to leave) is at the heart of Holland, Michigan.

As you might expect, the area around Holland, Michigan was home to many Dutch immigrants in America.

Their proud heritage is on display.  Beside the Windmill Gardens - there are Dutch restaurants, special hybrids of Tulips for sale, and hand-crafted wooden shoes.  Not from the Netherlands?  You will still enjoy this Dutch treat.

The Cherry Hut, Beulah, MI
9/19/2017     dwm photo
When I told a colleague at work who grew up in Michigan about my trip, I asked for suggestions, "The Cherry Hut," was the quick reply.

It fit into our route up U.S. Highway 31, so we made it a lunch stop.

If you are not aware, the state of Michigan is one of the leading producers of cherries - most of them along the Lake Michigan shore.

The Cherry Hut is a seasonal operation.  From today, you have until October 22 to enjoy their food. Cherries are in quite a few of the items on the menu - dried in salads and made into pies. An item which caught my eye was the Cherry Burger.  I was told it was a burger with dried cherries added to the ground meat.

Interesting, so I ordered it while avoiding the Cherry-ade, which sounded too sweet for me that day. The burger was great!  There was a slight sweet to the burger I liked more than expected. Adding to the experience, the Cherry Hut had a wonderful atmosphere and great service. It is worth a visit.

Scenic view of Lake Michigan
near Arcadia, MI  9/19/2017 dwm
Drives along pretty parts of the country there are pull-off spots to enjoy the view.  But I don't recall stopping at a scenic view and getting the opportunity to climb 199 steps for an even better one.

It was impressive and provided the chance to stretch my legs before pressing on to the next stop.

During those two days of travel we stopped 11 times for Lake Michigan lighthouses - you will see blog posts on those in the coming days and weeks.

Mackinaw Trolley.  (dwm)
At the end of the drive, Mackinac City, Michigan.

It would be a temporary home for the next three nights and serve as a launching point for several adventures and new experiences.

One new thing was hopping on the Mackinac Trolley Tour to learn more about the port city and get a lay of the land for the next couple of days.

Comments