Searching for Bridges

The Traveler is back on the road.
dwm photo
I missed the occasion, and really don't know when it happened; but sometime during the last 10 years the bike I got in high school crossed  from old to vintage.

The fall trip seemed like a match for the red 10 speed.  It is light and aging gracefully.  Once the back tire was inflated and a little WD-40 applied to the seat's springs it was ready to ride.

Mackinac Island is the reason the Schwinn Traveler came along.  It was a bonus riding it in Illinois.

Just two miles from our hotel was the Lost Bridge Trail.  Since the places on our list to visit didn't open until 9, there was time to ride.

The trail head is the state Department of Transportation and signs point the way to the Lost Bridge Trail.  I followed the signs to a small parking area around back where a lane of asphalt split between the trees.

The trail sweeps behind the large
state office building. (dwm)
It is a fairly short trail and I think the bridge maybe came back after its own vacation because I didn't see any lost bridge or notice any missing.

What I did see was a gorgeous trail with trees lining most of the five miles, their branches providing a lush canopy.  I could hear the rush of traffic on a nearby highway, but saw little of it.

Even better, there were only a couple of roads to cross.

The old Sugar Fork Bridge.  (dwm)
I discovered my 1980 bike was ready for the trip.  Not long after I got it, my Dad ordered some "No Flat" inner tubes he read about in Popular Mechanics Magazine.  The tube on the rear wheel felt a little mushy, so I bought a regular inner tube for it, but all these years later, the front tire of the Traveler is still strong.

About a decade ago, I tried selling it and couldn't find someone willing to pay what I wanted.

Now that it's a classic bike and a dependable one at that, I was glad to be back in the saddle.

The Lost Bridge Trail is a bit short compared to my usual rides, but it is perfect for a two-way trip.  I recommend it to my biking friends anywhere near Springfield, Illinois.

Comments