Learning 'bout Lincoln

A Lincoln figure
contemplating the
Emancipation Proclamation
at the Lincoln Museum
dwm photo 
He wasn't born in Springfield (LaRue County, Kentucky).

He didn't spend his childhood in Springfield (that spot it is now called Lincoln City, Indiana) wouldn't that be something if it was called that before he was born?

He didn't spend his early adulthood years here either (close, that would be New Salem, Illinois).

Abraham Lincoln, however, said the 25 years in Springfield was the time he "grew from a young man to an old one."

He arrived as a young lawyer with little money.  In 1860 he was elected President.

One way or another, Abraham Lincoln embodied the American dream that anyone could grow up to be president.  You know his story.  If you don't know as much as you might like, I highly recommend reading "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin for insight.

A young Lincoln home
again in Indiana. (dwm)
President Lincoln's Library and Museum was created by the State of Illinois to hold his papers for research and to chronicle a life which still fascinates us today.

When it opened approximately ten years ago, it went on my list of places I wanted to visit at some point.

Check.

My short review - "Incredible!"

There is a lot of Lincoln in Springfield, and I encourage you to take in as much as possible.  You won't forget or regret making the Lincoln Presidential Museum your first stop.

The Lincoln Home at the National
Historic Site.  (dwm)
You should also step into the Presidential Library, which holds important Lincoln and Civil War papers (some are still being found) and other documents about Illinois' political, social, and religious history.

The Museum brings Lincoln to life and strives to pull back the curtain to reveal one of America's greatest leaders.

I wasn't sure how much was charged for admission, but $15 for an adult is a great value and worth much more.

The Lincoln family welcomes
guests to their home.  (dwm)
The "Ghosts of the Library" will answer why it is important to learn this 'stuff.'  It is 9 minutes which will stay with you a very long time.  Don't skip it!

In the Union Theater, "Lincoln's Eyes" uses smoke, mirrors, and very loud noises to tell the story.

There is plenty of room - divided into "Pre and Presidential" looks at Abraham Lincoln's life.  The last view of Pre-president Abe is an imaginative view of 1860 campaign TV coverage.

You know how the story ends.  I wasn't expected to be moved, but the size and scope presenting that time will stir your heart.

Lincoln's Law Office
across from the Capitol.
(dwm)
The Old State Capitol is a block down the street.  It is where young Lincoln argued before the Supreme Court and served in the Legislature.  The Capitol is also the last place visitors could pass to pay their respect.

The Lincoln Home National Historic Site is five blocks south of the Capitol.

There is no charge to visit the house, but there is for parking.  Your includes guided tour by a National Park Ranger who walks you through the only home Abe ever owned.  It has much of the Lincoln's original furniture and even more stories.

It is one house, but part of several city blocks preserved the way they appeared in 1860.

Lincoln's tombstone.
dwm photo
Your final stop and President Lincoln's is the family tomb.

Four of the five members of the family are buried here.  Only Robert is missing, his widow insisted he buried with his family.

Mary was the last to join Abraham, but she witnessed his death and three of her four sons.  I left my visit to Springfield trying to comprehend the depth of her sorrow.

Just in case you really like some presidential details off the beaten path - I suggest checking out the bank register in the lobby of the Chase Bank across from the Old Capitol which shows two pages of Abe's bank account.

It is a little longer walk to the "Lincoln Depot."  There you can see the small ticket office and a chalkboard announcing Lincoln's train to Washington in 1861.

Abraham's statue greets tomb visitors
dwm
It was the last time in Springfield and where he said good-bye:

My friends, no one, not in my situation, can appreciate my feeling of sadness at this parting. 

To this place, and the kindness of these people, I owe everything. Here I have lived a quarter of a century, and have passed from a young to an old man. Here my children have been born, and one is buried. 

I now leave, not knowing when, or whether ever, I may return, with a task before me greater than that which rested upon Washington. Without the assistance of the Divine Being who ever attended him, I cannot succeed. With that assistance I cannot fail. 

Trusting in Him who can go with me, and remain with you, and be everywhere for good, let us confidently hope that all will yet be well. 

To His care commending you, as I hope in your prayers you will commend me, I bid you an affectionate farewell.   

From Abraham Lincoln Online

Comments