Word on the Street

Library poster
dwm photo
 William Shakespeare

“Bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible.”

― William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

Technically, the words weren't on the street.  The words were on signs next to the streets we ran in the Verona Public Library 5K run/walk.

Over the 3.1 mile course, I'd guess there were 20 - 30 signs offering inspirational and reflective thoughts about running and the effort to achieve.

It's a good theme for a run for a library.  While I enjoy running, it's not my first choice and I can appreciate some of the humorous signs held by family members or volunteers along the side of the road.

Some of the best ones I've seen:
  • "Worst parade ever."
  • "You aren't running slow. You are enjoying the course."
  • It says Finish on the other side.
    dwm photo
  • "There is no app for this; keep running."
Along Verona's streets and sidewalks there were quotes from noted authors and famous people who ran at some point.  There were even quotes from Virgil, a Greek Poet.  I bet you can find his books available in the stacks.

Madison has a lot of runs - fun and not so much - nearly every weekend.  This weekend alone - people raced for a cure; ran because it is the National Day of Norway; and to help folks unable to run.

Just because this one is so new, it wasn't crowded but it is growing.

The weather was a challenge, cool, in the mid 40s.  It didn't rain until after I got home, and for that I'm very thankful!

After a first mile questioning my reason for being out, I found a bit of a rhythm and finished in a respectable (for me) time of 27:18.  Oh, and here's a great thing about getting older... eventually you might win your age group!  When I checked, I was second in mine.

That's an incentive to have birthdays and keep running.

“My feeling is that any day I am too busy to run is a day that I am too busy.”

― John Bryant

Comments