Rustling Leaves

Wisconsin isn't known for Aspen.

They are here, but the Sugar Maple is the state tree and Oak trees create a mighty footprint wherever they grow.  So, the Aspen are kind of an afterthought.

Birch trees get confused for Aspen, but the bark of the Birch peel back like paper while Aspen bark does not.

In late autumn, when the rest of the trees have dropped their leaves, I hear Aspen.

At first, I didn't know the sound.

It sounded like a stream; a babbling brook in the air.

Since I was on top of a hill at the time, I didn't think it was flowing water.

Turning around, a yellow topped tree caught my eye and as I looked, the sound found my ears.

The Quaking Aspen's leaves catch the wind with wiggle and a wobble which produce a wave of watery sounds.

It's a wonderful sound.

A subtle wave wafting in the soft breeze is easily drowned by the noise of traffic or lost in a gust of wind.

In our busy and loud world it's easy to miss the subtle sights and sounds around us.

After the cacophony of campaign season, maybe we'll start to hear the subtle noises around us again.

Maybe it's a nuanced discussion about immigration, taxes, or the minimum wage.  Or maybe it's a talk about something personal.

Just listen to the sound you can barely hear; the silence we miss because we don't pay attention.

Comments