Running in the Cold


Running in cold weather is different.  It's also an activity I'm not doing often, and I wasn't as prepared as I might have been.

A mile or so into the race I was warm enough, but was still acclimating to breathing in cold air.  Tights under the running shorts and a regular T-shirt with two long sleeve T's over the top did the job up top.  A light-weight knit cap kept my ears warm, and running gloves (received in the swag bag) were perfect for my hands.

The Berbee Derby is a Madison tradition in its 13th running Thanksgiving morning.

The cause is compelling and important; 100% of the proceeds are used to get information technology into the hands of people in Madison who don't have access to cyberspace.

Four thousand, six hundred, and ninety-three of us took our places in the starting chute for the 10K run and 5K run/walk.

I was in wave 'D' and we were running north on Fish Hatchery Road a couple minutes after 9 when the 'A' group heard "GO!"

1,416 runners signed up for the 6.2 mile run across the south-side of Madison and Fitchburg and traced its way through one of the state's actual fish hatcheries (hence the name of the road), then east for 2 miles on the Capital City State Trail, south and back west on a neighborhood trail which divides backyards from greenspace and cropland.  We finished on an access road inside a cluster of High-tech companies which come together to sponsor the run.


There were some folks in the neighborhood offering encouragement, but most of the cheering was at the start and finish lines.

Most of the run was quiet.  Footfalls and occasional heavy breathing.

Just a few runners kept up a conversation for the run; other than advising another runner about an untied shoe, I mostly concentrated on my run.

I finished in 57:59, meeting my goal of running in under an hour, but not as fast as I expected.

On the other hand, the average time for the 10K was 55:28.  Do you think I can claim my time as 'above average?'

No injuries or sore muscles after the race; good snacks; and some nice gifts - making my Berbee Derby experience a winner.

Comments