A-Mazing Days on the Farm

There's a bit of a personal connection to Skelly's Farm Market near Janesville; which is why we made the trip last Saturday.

Mrs. Skelly is a member of the church where I grew up.  Her mother was a good friend of my mom.  And, we bought our first home from another member of Mrs. Skelly's family.

All of that, plus thinking about them when putting a weekend plan together and a Badger's night game made it a perfect day for a trip to the farm.

It's a working farm friendly to visitors from the city and their families.

There's a great playground, including duck races (not to worry, PETA people, these are rubber duckies!).  Pumpkins and fall decor for sale and some fresh baked goods on hand - Apple Cider and Pumpkin doughnuts.

There's a punkin' cannon and slingshot, wagon rides, and pumpin checkers.

It's rather amazing.  Speaking of which, there are a couple of mazes.  One of them is called the Impossible Maze.

I chose not to try that one.  If it's impossible, I thought, then I don't ever get out - which could result in a loss of employment, hunger, and loneliness!  Perhaps, I over thought that one.

So I tried their 7 acre traditional maze in pursuit of the fiend who pilfered the prized recipe for the Apple Cider doughnuts!

You can see the design from above if you click on the Corn Maze link from page linked above.  On the ground armed with a map of agents parachuting from a helicopter into the corn, it was the job of mazer's (this should be the term, don't you think?) to reach 12 spots to solve the puzzle.


Once inside the smooth paths between the stalks of corn, all I could see were the clouds above and some power lines which I knew ran alongside South Hayner Road.

The curves and angles inside the corn field was a living example of not seeing the forest for the trees.  I couldn't see the picture because of the corn.

There have been corn mazes of increasing complexity growing up around the country for years now, but until this one I never walked through one.

It was fun and challenging.

Each time I reached a target, I punched my card then analyzed the map to gauge which turn to take.  It's not as easy as it sounds.

It isn't rocket science either, thankfully.  But if you feel like a lost child of the corn, you can use your cell phone to call for a rescue.

The maze solved, I earned elite status as a Scarecrow Secret Agent and quickly retired before I could be assigned.

Since the mystery was solved, there were Cider Doughnuts to eat!

Comments