The Finish Lake

My photo caption: Me, my bike and Lake Michigan.

Just minutes after crossing the finish line in Kenosha, I wheeled the bike across 25 yards of sandy beach to reach the cool water of the lake.

It was perhaps, the most difficult part of the two day ride.  And wearing bike shoes through the sand and standing in the surf?  Not my best idea.

Later, a couple days later, the shoes dried out and seemed to be just fine and ready to go for the next trip.

You didn't see this photo in the earlier blogs about the Ride Across Wisconsin because the usual computer I use to blog died from an apparent electric shock.  Which meant I couldn't download all the pictures I wanted.  And, it gives me another blog to write about the ride.

It was a thrilling moment of accomplishment.

While the original goal went by the boards a day earlier; it felt great to finish strong and complete from west to east across Wisconsin.

Two weeks later, I'm still not sure if given a better round of training if I could have tackled it in a day without an earlier sunrise and later sunset.  I'm not sure if I'll try for it next year at all, or sign up for the two day version across America's Dairyland.

Replicating the journey is tempting, and recapturing the feeling in the waters of the big Lake would be awesome.

Comments