Night

It's a bit embarrassing to admit that I had never read Elie Wiesel's account of his holocaust experience.

Wiesel, a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, doesn't need me to vouch for his credibility or authenticity.

Even to many of the people who were the target of Hitler's plan, it didn't register until it was too late.

Wiesel tells the story in vivid, straight forward sentences.  There is no soft soap, but it isn't gory either.

The chills you feel down your back while reading it comes from your brain processing the horror and why so many people stood by and said nothing.

Because you know how the story ends before reading the first page, it's how each page leads to the next which makes it worth your time.

It's a quick read; engrossing. and important.  It's sobering and disturbing.

Originally published in 1956, I read the most recent edition published in 2006.  I checked out an electronic version out from our local library.

I'm glad I did; you will be too.

Comments