Traditions

The Wisconsin State Fair is 165 years old.

I've walked through the gates to the fair 26 percent of the time.

The very first State Fair was in my hometown of Janesville.  (Yes, thank you, I had a very nice time.)

I've written about some of our family and fair traditions already, but have a couple left to share.

Some of my earlier State Fair memories revolved  around carload days.  A carload of people could park and attend the fair for one price, $8 sticks in my mind.

This was before my sister came along, and mom and dad allowed me to invite a friend or two.

Four or five of us piled into the family car on the designated Wednesday Dad took off work, and we spent a full day at the fair.

That tradition lives on now with early purchase of tickets instead of actually loading up the car. Purchasing tickets early online can save half the price of admission leaving more money for cream puffs and other delights.

Another tradition is Smokey's School.

It's found on the Department of Natural Resources tract in the fair which offers fish-filled ponds, trees, and a relaxing environment.

School goes into session several times a day whenever enough students are rounded up for Smokey to instruct.

I think when I started we called the teacher Smokey The Bear.  It was a long time before Smokey's people started a public relations campaign to tell us because he isn't the only bear, we should all just call him Smokey Bear.

I recall getting a coloring book and a badge after learning how we could help prevent Forest Fires.

You might remember his slogan, "Only you can prevent forest fires."

Smokey's stayed up with the times.

His current message reminds we can prevent Wildfires.

Some years later, when my boys went to Smokey's School, there were hand-pumped fire extinguishers on hand.  I could use my Smokey knowledge and help them pump and aim the water at the target.

Smokey is a kind teacher, taking time to explain how one person is able to make a difference against what seems like a problem too big for anybody, especially a kid.

It's a lesson we can benefit from at any age.  And in the midst of so many things trying to grab our attention and cash - it's really nice to see a State Fair tradition offer a fun dose of summer school a couple students at a time.

Comments