State Fair

It's a long-standing Mossner family tradition, attending Wisconsin State Fair.

To the best of my knowledge I've only missed a handful since my first in 1964.

My college years (1982 - 1984) I was working and living in Iowa. 1985 through 1988 we were too far away to make it back.  1989 was likely the first one in seven years.

Just a couple years later launching a family and insurance business in North Wisconsin I think kept us  from attending in 1993.

Since 1994, I think there was only one or two more misses.  Let's call it two more for a total of 10 misses out of 53 opportunities.  My parents never missed one from 1961 through 2011.

It takes more of a reason for me than the mere fact we've always gone to get in the car for the trip to West Allis on Milwaukee's west side.

There's the cream puffs (more on those soon), the entertainment, and the shopping.  Which I should explain."

My "shopping list" is pretty specific.  I get a new pair of sunglasses so they're handy if I lose or break the current pair.  I check out the gear at the Milwaukee Bucks' booth and always look over the Badger stuff.

Jillions of products line the aisles of the Expo center.  Barkers attract attention to explain how we can't possibly live without this product.  (I almost bought a round ice scraper, I hope I don't regret avoiding it.)

Integral to our Fair experience are the Kids From Wisconsin.

Started in 1969, some of the top young singers and dancers from around the state (with a remarkable number through the decades from the small town of Mayville, for reasons I don't understand) put on a terrific show every day of State Fair.

In the approach to the fair, they prepare for the show after the try-outs, then go on the round to county fairs and shows in community auditoriums.  When they hit the International Amphitheater free stage, they are ready to shine.

This year's edition featured some outstanding swing music, hits by Stevie Wonder, and what this year's crew probably considers "old people music."  Which, this time, was a medley of hits from the 1980s.  (Am I so old that the music I remember best is 30 years old? Yikes.)

Wisconsin's State Fair party runs through August 14 - go and eat a cream puff for me.

Comments