Dog Days

According to a definition I found online, the Dog Days of summer are thought to run from July 3 to August 11, but given the symptoms which identify those Dog Days - lethargy, inactivity, or indolence - I think those days may be in overtime.

Indolence, which I just looked up, refers to the avoidance of activity or exertion.  In other words, laziness.  I think all seasons are subject to passing bouts of indolence.

Lethargy?

Inactivity?

Sounds like summer to me.

However, we probably can't be lethargic, indolent, and inactive all day long.... unless we might still be teen-agers. (Not all teen-agers, of course, just some teen-agers some of the time.)

There are times the heat and humidity of August gets a bit too much.  I think about the approach of autumn and even the brisk snowy days of winter.  Sometimes the day, even at 5:30 in the morning, feels like mid-day sloth is draped across my shoulders.

There are times during each season when it seems like the same old, same old will always be with us.  It won't, though, change is coming.

And during these days of the dog, I'm looking forward to autumn.

Comments