Cream Puff - a Fair Breakfast

There is more to State Fair than the cream puff, but it's safe to say without one it wouldn't be the same.

The state delicacy has been served at the Fair since 1924.  Last year, more than 400,000 were sold!

It's possible to purchase cream puffs other places than the Cream Puff Pavilion.  I just don't know why anybody would choose to do so.

The puff pastry shells are baked in the kitchen.  The fresh cream is lovingly poured into the just sliced shells moments later.  A little powder sugar on top, and they are ready to eat.

I can't tell if I've had a cream puff every time I've been to the fair.  I suspect my dad gave me a little cream when I was too young to know what I was eating.

But as far back as my memory goes, the cream puff was always, always, the third thing our family did at the fair.

First, see the Horticulture building.

Second, visit the Department of Natural Resources park and display.

Third, order and eat a cream puff.

First-timers approach their first bite like munching a burger. Unfortunately, it's a rookie mistake.

Mistakes lead to wisdom.  If you hold and eat it like a sandwich, the cream ends up on your arms, hands, and the floor not in your mouth. It's easier to enjoy if you gently unscrew the two halves with close to an equal distribution of cream on each half.

Just before your first bite, take in the aroma and the ambience around you.  A big part of enjoying it is where you eat it.  It's enjoyed by all ages and links you to your younger self and literally millions of others who enjoyed this fair treat.

For me, this treat is best savored.  One taste of cream and a bite of puff at a time.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised only 400,000 were sold during last year's fair.  More than a million people attended in 2015, and it's very difficult to believe 500,000 of them did not eat a cream puff.

I love the cream puff.  But, it's so special I only eat one each year.  Too many and they might lose their special place in my heart and soul.

The moment of my annual cream puff is the start of a new year and another year at State Fair - the combined taste of tradition and the energy of today make it a delicate and sumptuous marvel to rival the finest food in all the world.

I suppose this might sound a bit over the top to you, which, I think, means you've never had one.

Comments