First Ride In Door County

We reached our destination and after unpacking the car, I placed the seat on the Volae for a quick spin.

Heading west from Bailey's Harbor, the county road traversed a causeway in Kangaroo Lake. I'm pretty sure this isn't a Native American name, but who knows!

Even inland the wind was strong.  Strong enough that after I took this picture, I had to grab my bike before the wind tipped it to the ground.

Bailey's Harbor was a brisk 50 degrees when I left.  By the time I drove half-way across the peninsula that is Door County, the temperature was much warmer.  I began doubting my choice of a long sleeved bike jersey.

It was so much fun to be out on a new stretch of road and putting my bike to the test.  The primary test was a stiff breeze out of the southeast.

Door County is known for many things - it's beauty; the tranquil landscape; scenic views; and cherries.

The cherry and apple trees are in bloom.

The flower laden trees add so much to the journey - lighting up field of brown dirt and green grass with extra dashes of color.


I expected my trip across the state's thumb to have a ridge dividing the Lake Michigan side and the west side closer to the Bay of Green.

The hills on the west side give way to fantastic vistas.  The photo to the right doesn't do it justice, but from my vantage point the village (population 200) of Egg Harbor sits in the distance with the lake stretched behind it.

The non-descript hill had enough drop to accelerate me to 30 miles an hour before I stopped for a turn north.

Highway 42 is a bike friendly road in my opinion, but when the crowds increase Memorial Day weekend I suspect there might be more issues.

In any case, this stretch the strong wind was at my back and I felt it - maintaining a brisk pace up the gentle slopes.


There was steep hill down into Fish Creek which had me riding the brakes since my narrow stretch for the bike was smooth and the car's lane was not leaving little room for potholes or other sudden issues.

Fish Creek is on the east shore of Green Bay, curving around a natural harbor.  I enjoyed a Milky Way and water to refuel in a village park and climbed back on the bike to return to my starting point.

County F head across the county from northwest to southeast.  As a result, I was now riding straight into the wind.  Even on level ground it slowed me down if there weren't trees to block it.

Back in Bailey's Harbor, I went to the shores of Lake Michigan and watched the white caps crash ashore.

One day - one ride in Door County!

Comments