Throwback Thursday

#TBT is all about history.  It could be a throw back all the way to last week, or "way back in the day" when we were in high school.

In the digital collection of photos - this is one of the oldest ones in the hard drive.  It's a field of Amish hay stacks.

Horse drawn rakes gather the hay which the farmers stack up to be gathered into the barn for winter.

When we lived up north, it was a common sight for us since our area was home to a large number of Amish.  Many Amish around Augusta worked the fields as farmers while others ran sawmills or made hand-crafted furniture.

It's always "throwback" time when you live in Amish country.

A more distant throwback happened 40 years ago today.

It was the first, and only, time I had fried squirrel for dinner.

My next door neighbors were hunters and frequently were cooking up the different critters they got on the family farm up north.  Even though it was a weeknight, I was invited to dinner and my friend Andy was telling me about the menu.  His mom brought it out and I thought it was pretty good.  They asked me what I thought it tasted like....

"Just like chicken!" I said.  It's true, a lot of things taste like chicken.

There was another special thing that happened 40 years ago today,  October 29, 1975 was the day my little sister was born.

Happy Birthday, Danielle!

Comments