R C Boating

The other morning I noticed something I'd never seen before in Madison.  In fact, I think I've only seen it in movies placed in New York City.

Remote-control sailing boats out for a sail.

Maybe a dozen or so virtual sailors stood on the shore dressed for the morning chill as their small crafts raced around the course on a small pond.  The pond is tucked behind some businesses at the south end of some soccer fields and serves mainly as a retention pool to capture large amounts of water in heavy rains.

Juveniles need not apply apparently.  Not for this race as it seemed to be universally adults and men at the wheel of their crafts.

The eye catching sails on the blue sailboat were a wonder to watch.  The color-shifting sail adjusted its appearance on every turn and the angles of light and perspective.

You can to the left the same boat has clear sails with blue at the peak.

Wind provides the power, the remote control moves the rudder.

From my side of the pond I couldn't tell if a virtual rescue boat was waiting near the shore in case the wind died or a boat needing a tow back in.

Since the sighting was one of pure chance, I didn't learn about the group or the race or anything.  Not long after making it to the shoreline and taking some pictures it seemed like the race or trials were over.

Like their larger manned cousins, time is getting short in the sailing season.  However since the sailors can mostly stay dry on land, perhaps they sail as long as they can.

It's pretty to watch and probably fun to do.  I'm glad to have seen them, but expect I'll continue to anchor my virtual feet to the shore.

Comments