Two Halves

It was my second half - marathon.  Perhaps two halves make a whole.

The Milwaukee Brewers Half Marathon was their fourth.  It was a challenge.  However, all I have for comparison is my previous attempt at 13.1 miles, the Elroy, Wisconsin Dumpling Days Run three years ago.

My take is there is no comparison.  Elroy's route was mostly flat.  The Brewers Foundation organized track was a tour of the city - down the Menomonie River valley to the Harley - Davidson Museum, past the Domes horticultural center, into Miller Valley by the Miller Brewery, by Saz's Restaurant, and back to the Brewers home.

The route included inclines and a couple outright hills.  I didn't go very fast on the longest hill but managed not to walk.  Of course, a fast walker may have walked past my running pace at that point in mile 11.

Just one 2,435 runners participating - it was a nice sized group.  There were always people around but few enough that after the first half mile or so there was elbow room on the course.

I prepared a lot more for this race than three years ago.  Good thing.  While never a threat to finish even in the top half of my age group, the results felt pretty good at the finish line.

Longer to complete than Elroy's race at 2:13; it felt like more of an accomplishment.  There were several highlights of the run - but racing (well, racing was a relative term at 12.5 miles) through the stadium, with our images on the giant scoreboard was quite cool.  I tried to take in the 4-5,000 spectators (friends and family of runners) in as well as the view of the park from behind home plate.

Part of the half - marathon field were the Triumph riders.  Disabled individuals in trikes were taken around the course by volunteer runners/pushers.   It was fun to see the joy on the faces of the triumph runners on the course.

Yet another special part of the run was a special display on the grounds of the H-D Museum of United States flags in honor of fallen heroes.  As I ran past I noticed an empty boot by each pole.

A very moving and beautiful honor for those who gave their all for our freedoms.

Indelible memories from the run:
  * a woman holding a sign (intended, I'm sure for a family member), "Smile.  Remember you paid to do this."
  * while passing under a large bridge towering over us, I noticed a young man trying to get the attention of a runner, who seemed to be the young lady about ten feet to my right.  He yelled, "You're amazing!"  I heard a male voice a few feet behind me answer, "Thank you."
  * crossing a bridge there was a large crowd of people waiting to cheer and support their parents, kids, or loved ones.  I liked the sign held by a teenage girl with the appropriate facial expression.  It read, "Most boring parade ever."

* the curling hill from State Street up to Hawley and the following hill after the first climb.  Ugh.
 * exiting the stadium past the right field foul pole and seeing the sign "Mile 13" just a tenth more to go and trying to find one more gear.

 * crossing the finish line in 2:13
 * getting a high five from Bernie Brewer
 * the sense of camaraderie with my fellow travelers
 * the banana, Bonk bar, bottle of water, and a glass of Miller Lite.

I feel pretty good.

Quads are a little tight, but not too bad.  I may need to try this again sometime.

Comments