Triple Feature Moon


In my lifetime, this was the third "Super moon" event (1964 and 1982 came first).  No, I don't recall the first one at all, and I'm guessing such things didn't get a lot of "press" in the 1980s or I wasn't paying attention.

The next one won't happen until 2033.  Let's see, in 2033, I will be... hold on while I carry the one.... yikes - 70 years old!  Given that, I thought I better pay attention to this one.


Even more impressive, this Super moon had some other things going for it as well.

It's a Blood moon because this lunar eclipse was the fourth with no partial lunar eclipse in between. Some pastors have given this natural occurrence some importance of their own interpretation.

The "Super" status is because on its trips around the earth - the moon was closer Sunday night than usual.  Much, much closer - 14% closer than usual.  Frankly, I thought it appeared closer in the early Monday morning sky than it did Sunday night, but quite impressive.

It's the "Harvest" moon since it's the first full moon since our season turned to autumn.  You may know, if you're old enough, the song lyric - "Shine on, Harvest Moon" - a song which became popular in 1909.  I know it because my Dad enjoyed singing it:


Chorus:
Oh, Shine on, shine on, harvest moon
Up in the sky;
I ain't had no lovin'
Since April, January, June or July.
's no time, ain't no time to stay
Outdoors and spoon;
So shine on, shine on, harvest moon,
For me and my gal.


Finally, as a total lunar eclipse, our little earth was positioned directly between the sun and the moon.  The blood red appearance of the moon (which is more noticeable in my photos than to the naked eye) is caused the the light rays bending around the earth.

As a kid, I remember seeing a very red moon one night from our home in Janesville.  It put me in mind of words in the Bible of the moon turning red as blood as one of the signs of the end of the world.  Which is why I so vividly remember it.  Recently, some pastors have chosen to take that scripture and time it with the astrological occurrence of this series of four total lunar eclipses and dubbed them the "blood moons."

They could well be a sign of the end.  On the other hand, we are also reminded that "no man knows the day or the hour for the end."  That's in God's hands and not for me to worry about and seems like a poor way to preach.

Sitting on a large rock in a field near our home, I pointed my camera at the moon and tried various camera settings in an effort to get nice shots of our neighbor in near space.

In less than 50 years, we've learned so much about the moon and still don't know all there is to know.  It seems close, closer on a night like Sunday, but is still so far.

There is a beauty and romance to the moon. It determines the earth's tides and has marked the seasons as long as we have walked the earth.  The moon is a neighbor we rely on, but pay little attention.

Next time you're out at night, gaze at our friend a while say thanks and offer a friendly and literary, "Goodnight, Moon."

Comments