Time to Read

It's "Read a Book" day.   I'm not sure if we are supposed to also finish the book today or not, but starting a book is a good place to begin.

Since it's also considered "Fight Procastination Day," I guess you could do both by picking up a book and reading it instead of putting it off until tomorrow.

While I enjoy doing a lot of reading online, as you are right now, I still like reading actual books with a cover, spine, and pages.

 Magazines get my attention when they arrive in the mail box.  TIME and Sports Illustrated I read cover to cover.  Starting around the third grade I began paging through them each week and by the time I finished college I was reading the whole things.

Justifying a commitment to a book has become more difficult, but still something I like to do.  Tom Clancy novels are my favorite.  Good fiction, autobiographies, and history grab my attention, too.

I tried but failed to really connect with an e-reader called the Nook.  The concept seemed to work, but for some reason it was difficult for me to really download the library books I wanted.  It said the downloads happened.  I just couldn't find the book in the Nook's crannies.  Generally I can find the hard cover or paperback books I get at the library.

Lazy days without a pressing agenda are some of the best days to read.  Followed closely by busy days when a mental vacation is in order.  A good read can transport me to another time and place and allow my brain to reset.

You may be like me and have a shelf or two of favorite books.  The best ones you can read and re-read and feel like its new every time.  I hope you have a book or two like that in your library.  If not, maybe "A Walk in the Woods" might tickle your fancy.

An excellent way to observe Read a Book day is by reading aloud... to a child or an older adult. Instilling the love of reading, or encouraging it, is a most appropriate way to connect any day of the year.


Comments