Uploading...

Before shutting down the computer, or in a situation that could me more maddening when booting up, the blue screen and words appear.

Message: "Please do not power off or unplug your machine.  Installing 17 of 43872."

Just what am I supposed to do NOW?  I want this machine to anticipate what I want not make me wait 5, 10, or gadzooks 60 or more seconds for my computer to file its new books on the shelf.

I want it now.  Right now.  I have important blogs to write.  Urgent posts to be added to LinkedIn and Facebook.  How will the world continue to turn if my peeps don't know what is happening in MY LIFE!

Life before the internet or even before computers weren't like this, was it?  Maybe it was.  I recall during my adult lifetime going to the store for a part.  The store was out of stock.  The manager ordered a part and it arrived a week or so later.  They called and I'd go pick it up.  It's not like I've become more "important" since then, just more impatient.

Yet when I might be talking to you from time to time it's possible I'll experience an uploading moment.  My brain needs to upload the word, anecdote, or piece of critical information so I may continue my sentence or story.

Um, ah, well....  My eyes look up at the invisible shelves above my line of sight as I search for the word or information I lack.

I doubt this bit of life imitates technology is very revolutionary.

Hopefully, I still have several gigs of ram left in my personal upstairs memory box... but if you see the glazed blue look in my monitor (eyes), just know I'm installing something.

Comments