The Giant Slide

It's been on the grounds as long as I can remember although I really should be able to recall the time before it anchored itself at the north end of the Central Mall at Wisconsin State Fair Park.

The Giant Slide opened 48 years ago in 1968.  That would have been just before I started kindergarten and a month or so before I reached my first milestone birthday, 5.

Dark green and bright yellow - it towers over the fair landscape.

Every year I'd make my parents stop and we'd watch the people carry their rugs from the bins at the bottom and climb the steps to the top.

My powers of observation then and now confirm; it is a Giant!  According to a story in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the slide is one of 41 built by the contractor who continues to operate the big slide here and at the Minnesota State Fair.

Just the top of the Grandstand and Sky Glider are close to the slide in height.  As a kid, I looked up, swallowed, and moved along with mom and dad to the next stop on our route around the fair.  "Someday," I thought, "I'm actually going to ride it."

It was 25 cents a slide when it opened.  It must have stayed a quarter for a long time because I'm sure I reached age 10 or 12 before having enough courage to give it a shot.  Peer pressure may have helped too because I took the plunge the first time when my best friend came to the fair with us.

Laughing and looking as we climbed the stairs it was a little easier to stifle the nervousness as our feet planted on each step.  The step height is about six inches, short enough for all ages to climb.  We reached the top, looked down and around the grounds and noticed my parents waiting at the bottom. No more waiting.  The worker told us to spread out our rugs and climb aboard.  Back then, and for many years, three microphones hung over the center of the slide to catch the whoops and screams.  I hoped I wouldn't sound like a scared little girl.


Years later, I handed over $2.50, grabbed a rug (I wonder how long they get used?) and began the ascent.  I stopped to take pictures a couple of times on the way up and at the top, hoping no one would tell me to put the camera away and hurry up.

Three shots later I was on the far edge of the slide and waited while a family got set for its run.  A five-year-old who wanted his own rug at the bottom of the steps was happy now to climb on his father's lap.

My turn.

Just where did those butterflies come from?

I sat down and held the camera case.  The attendant behind me suggested taking my cap off or turn around.  "Thanks," I replied and turned it around and put on my sunglasses.

Looking down and looking ahead, I survey State Fair from my temporary lofty perch.  For a milli-second, I wonder if I really want to do this.  Too late,  I start moving down the bright yellow stripe over the metal slide.  My stomach jumps as the rug and rest of me join it lifting up on the first swell. Hey, this is fun now!  Two more bumps and it's over - the best five seconds money can buy.

You pick up the rug and pick your steps around other just finished sliders dropping the rug into one of two large red boxes in time for one of the next travelers to pick up and start climbing.

Comments