ALARM!

Yesterday I headed down to mom's home to take care of some details in preparation for an eventual estate sale.

My walk inside was unusual since I was greeted by a beep.  Then quiet.  Beep.   Quiet.  Beep.  It seemed to be coming from inside the front door where I found a flashing alarm panel.

Just what was causing this I wasn't sure.  I don't know the code if there even is one.

I tried pushing the motion off button.  Lights changed on the screen.  Then I must have hit one button too many.

Lights flashed and the loudest sound I've heard in a while started resounding and echoing around the house.  Oops.  I headed to the file cabinet in search of a folder which might include instructions to shut it off.   Empty.  I tried killing all the power in the house. The alarm continues.

Yikes!  There must be something.  I remembered having a document from the alarm company in my folder of stuff related to the estate.  I found a phone number and after several rings and long enough on hold for the temporarily silenced alarm to resume it's alarming, I was connected with customer service.

A patient woman who somehow heard me over the alarm's racket as I went back inside.  She directed me to the basement to search for transformer box.  I unplugged it.  The alarm rang.

Finally after searching for a screwdriver and a chair to use so i could reach the alarm box I was directed on how to open the box and disconnect the wires.

Silence at last.  Peace and quiet.  Just in time for the realtor to arrive.

My heart finally resumed normal rythmn five minutes later.

Comments