Ye Olde Bikes

When I saw there were bicycles at Old World Wisconsin and an opportunity to ride them - I wanted on.

Many people caught "wheel fever" in the 1890s as bicycling became widely popular.  The bikes could cost close to $50 then; similar to $500 bikes today.

Just to keep things safe - the bikes available are reproductions of late 19th-century trikes.  No brakes and no ability to coast - your feet provide the power and offer the only way to stop.

I took a couple turns around the small track close to the Caldwell Farmer's Club Hall.  The gravel surface kept my speed low and added a little difficulty to steering.

Looking out from a higher perch than current bikes, angled slightly toward the ground was an unusual position in which to ride.  But it was fun.

You don't see many of the old bicycles, especially the high front wheel types known as "ordinary" bikes.  They look interesting, but it would take time to learn how to mount and balance.  The most critical skill on the high wheel bike, though, is learning how to get off the bike.

As a kid, I would sometimes stop my "a little too tall" bike next to the steps so I could climb off easily.

That worked in the bike shed at Old World Wisconsin, but the bikes were also fixed in place, the wheels set to roll on fixed pipes.

I rather enjoy my recumbent's ride closer to the ground, but with a little training it would be interesting to try climbing aboard the ultimate "big wheel."

The bike exhibit has an original trike two-seater with a small child's seat out front and a complete tool bench necessary to keep bikes on the road.

That one is kept away from visiting bikers.

Comments