Trying Out

Monday Morning Quarterback - the weekly blockbuster online blog by Sports Illustrated's Peter King - is looking for some help.

Journalists need not apply.  The MMQB wants fans of NFL teams to add fan voices to it's 24/7/365 coverage of the National Football League.

I've been reading the Monday column (8,000 words most weeks) and the Mailbag follow-up blog since it started.  Way back then, before broadband, I'd save the article to the computer so I could get off the landline.

Like the progenitor of the column and the website it launched, I like the Packers, but I'm interested in other things, too.  Peter King writes travel notes, beer and coffee reviews, and tidbits about everything from books to movies to non-football sports.  If you've read this blog for any length of time, I don't have much of an attention span either.  On the other hand, I don't get to 8,000 words very often!

You can't help me on the quixotic quest - there isn't an online poll to select each team's fan blogger - (flogger, anyone?) - that I know of yet.  The application is a 200-word essay sent to their email today.

Their request?  A short post about why we love our team.   Here's my effort - 200 words on why I love the Green Bay Packers:

I was a colicky baby.
 
But, when placed in front of a TV watching the 1965 Green Bay Packers, those black and white images of the Green and Gold soothed me.

The Glory days live.  Jerry Kramer and Dick Schaap’s Instant Replay was one of the first “big” books I read.  Re-read and read again.  I cheered for Tagge, Hunter, and Staggers.  I own an autographed copy of “Mean on Sunday” by Ray Nitschke.  I remember getting a bear-hug from number 66.

Lindy and Majik lifted hopes, but when Brett, Reggie, and the Pack took down Carolina on Lambeau’s Field in the NFC title game tears flowed down my face.  My Pack was back. 

Our team.  My team.  I’m an owner.

Born, to the day, 29 years before Brett Favre’s rocket arm fueled comeback against the Bengals.  
Our wedding day in 1985 was planned for the same month and day as Green Bay’s Super Bowl XXXI triumph.

The Packers make me cheer and make me cry.  I bleed and wear Green and Gold.  Age brings a sense of perspective, nothing is bigger than the Pack and 16 special days.

Every game. Win or lose. I love my Green Bay Packers.

Hopefully, I'll hear from Peter in a couple of weeks.

Comments