Plans? What Plans

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.  
Jeremiah 29:11 ESV

There are a number of ways to look at planning.

My days working as a district representative with Aid Association for Lutherans introduced me to some folks who didn't "believe" in life insurance and would sometimes tell me they didn't think it was right to plan ahead since it is all in God's hands.  True, I thought, but yet this person used a date book chock full of appointments and meetings.

Just careening down life's road without a plan isn't much of answer, either.  For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it?  Luke 14: 28

If the approach to prayer is more of creating a wish list or order through the microphone in a drive-thru; it seems we might be missing the idea of prayer and planning.  Prayer and listening/waiting for the answer may help us do better planning.  One thing learned is in times when I tried to make something I wanted to happen, it didn't.  I was more content when situations unfolded easily without me trying to make every move in advance.

Looking at a verse of scripture like the one from Jeremiah can be misinterpreted to mean life is a ride on easy street, but I don't know if that's the promise.  It seems more of an eternal promise than a temporal one.

Yet, I do believe it's true that our LORD does want the best for us in the midst of a turbulent and sinful world and loves us no matter what.  It's the kind of plan worth taking to the bank.

Recently, we were shopping for a new home.  We found one we liked, but from there it seemed each move to make it so ran into a brick wall.  By the fourth attempt, it seemed obvious it wasn't the plan for us.

So, the planning and praying continues.



Comments