In the Hen House (Restaurant)

The small print on the sign reads "Roosters welcome."

Once inside the cozy cafe I noticed women in the kitchen and working the front of the house.  After keeping my eyes open, I saw a young man in the kitchen - washing dishes.

When a tornado tore through Eagle in 2010, the Hen House re-opened with a generator after water damage was cleaned up so they could feed the town and volunteers who came to help.

The effort and story of a small town coming together made a nice TV commercial and heart-warming story.  I didn't remember the Hen House Cafe from earlier trips to Eagle, but I recognized it from the television spots.

My seat was at the counter as the space filled up Saturday morning. The friendly server took our order - I asked for a waffle and crisp bacon.  You see, sometimes I know what I want... other times I waffle.  (Thus endeth the gratuitous food puns.)

Joking aside, it was excellent.  The malt in the waffle and the crisp skin with soft, delicious interior created a perfect delivery system for the right amount of syrup.

Inside the hen house live many, many chickens.  And roosters.  Tractors and knick-knacks of farm animals and life on the farm.

Love the food; enjoy the atmosphere; feel at home in Eagle. The breakfast and  lunch spot fueled us for the day trip to Old World Wisconsin.  I'd suggest you find your way there too.

You find the large smiley face over the city (more on that soon) then down the road into town.  You can't miss it.

Enjoy.

Comments