Sun Glasses... Life in the Shade

Unlike the suggestion made in the 1980's hit, I don't wear my sunglasses at night.

They do however, come in handy during the day. Even if it's a just a bright and cloudy day.  

Movie stars and folks trying to escape detection might don a pair of shades to look cool or avoid recognition.  I didn't think it made a difference to me until a week ago, when an acquaintance told me he didn't recognize me with sunglasses.  

Judging by the style of sunglasses worn, you might want to be up with the latest fashion or strictly going for function instead of style.  The dark lenses can come in handy if it means others can't tell what you are looking at - a simple fact that men (and I'm guessing women, too) have relied on for years and years.

It's more important to wear sunglasses though, to protect our eyes from bright light and harmful ultraviolet radiation rays.  Wearing sunglasses may help avoid cataracts - something that can ruin eyesight and require surgical removal.

Looking through sunglasses, especially the real good ones, can make things look crisper and in vivid color.  The kind my Dad wore usually made it easier to look into water and see fish swimming.

You may find, and it was the case for me, that those sunglasses can help prevent headaches.  In my case, bright light is a trigger for migraines.  That's why I wear them even on bright cloudy days.

I keep them within reach all year long, even in winter, because the sun's rays can be brighter and really catch you as the light bounces off snow and ice.

A well-known truism is the cost of the sunglasses has a lot to do with the likelihood of loss. The higher the price, the more likely you are to lose them.

Keep an extra pair in the car.  Since it's National Sunglasses Day - it may be a good time to upgrade the shades you're wearing.

It may not help that much, but just maybe a new pair will help all of us achieve Snoopy's "Joe Cool" vibe. 

Comments