Riding in Raindrops

The day started cloudy and a threat of rain hung in the air when I got on my bike for the first time in a month.

My original plan was to ride across town to either Sun Prairie or Cottage Grove after a breakfast stop.

Jumping on my 'bent I headed east until I met up with the Southwest Commuter trail, then turned onto the Cannonball Path. Cannonball is one of the newest trails in Madison.

It connects with the Military Ridge State Trail where it starts in Fitchburg.  From there it angles northeast over the Beltline (photo right) until it meets up with Fish Hatchery Road.  The section north of the Beltline is not quite finished, but looks like it will open soon.

Less than 10 miles into the ride, I rolled up on the Egg & I conveniently located just yards from the bike bridge.  It had been a while since I last ate there and this trip was tops.

You are allowed to order a single strip of bacon.  So I did.  Crisp.  It was, to coin a phrase, egg-cellent!  A cup of stone-cut oatmeal and small glass of chocolate milk.

I was expecting a long ride and need some protein.  When I left the restaurant, more dark clouds had rolled in.  It looked like rain was coming sooner than expected, so I angled up Fish Hatchery with a turn into the north side of arboretum and zoo.

The path into the arboretum is filled with walkers, bikers, and joggers.  And turkeys.  The photo at right is the second of three Toms crossing the road to get to the other side.

I got down the road several more miles before the sprinkles started. It wasn't raining very hard, except while going downhill the bike's speed and rain drops stung a little.

No harm, no foul.  I returned home not much wetter than how I started and logged in with just a little more than 20 miles on the odometer.

It felt good to be out  - I've found biking to be a good place to think. Or not.  It's a good time to pray, consider options and opportunities, and enjoy a ride through creation.

It's good to be on the road again.


Comments