Potluck or Pitch-In?


Here in Wisconsin and much of the Midwest - when folks gather together for a meal and everyone is asked to bring something to share - we call it a potluck.

In other words, the meal depends on the luck of the draw.  You may get three large pans of macaroni and cheese; a couple bags of chips; and some Hostess cupcakes.

Folks in central Indiana called these events pitch - ins.

My first reaction when I heard the term was confusion and, eventually, acceptance.  Pitch in is a "in it together" kind of phrase that brings people and food together... doesn't that sound like fun?

Jokes aside, luck isn't what I usually want as an ingredient in my meal plan.  The A.A.L. meetings I remember as a kid frequently involved chicken and rolls from Kentucky Fried Chicken with the rest of the meal a potluck.

I remember eating chicken and a lot of those buttered rolls every time I counted on luck to put something good on the menu.  Double the thought when the little discs I thought were chocolate chip cookies turned out to be filled with raisins!!

Lutherans in the Midwest tried to make "Pot blessing" a phrase, but it didn't catch on.  Too many syllables I think was the problem there.  Blessing is also a reflection on what lines the table, while pitch in simply recognizes the effort, not quality, that results.

You might have your own phrase you like for these community meals.  If you do, I hope you'll share one in the comments below.  We might be able to give it enough traction to catch on.

If you like to assign people what they need to bring to the party, I don't think that counts.  If I'm assigned to bring crackers, cookies, or something else from the "C" food group that's on you, not random luck.

Speaking of, maybe that would be a new way to ask folks to bring food that starts with specific letters of the alphabet.  Are you ready to pitch in for that?

Comments