First Bike Sunrise 2015

My first peek at sunrise from the back of my bike happened yesterday.  What a beautiful day - unusually warm for early May - it was already in the mid to upper 50s when I left just before six.

Just in time to meet the sun as it peered over the horizon at the top of my first climb for the day. Good Morning, Madison!

It was cool enough on the downhills to push water out of my eyes to paint temporary racing stripes on each side of my face, but really a wonderful day to ride for the first time this year.

Looping around the southwest corner of the city on an early Sunday morning before church is a very peaceful time of day.  There were some folks out jogging, walking their dogs, or taking the opportunity to ride their bikes early in the day.

You may plan your first rides more carefully than I did. When I climbed on the bike I really wasn't sure where to go.

My plan was to ride around an hour and to ride at least 15 miles.  I also wanted to test myself a little with some hill climbs.

A benefit of Sunday morning is that even the "busy" roads are pretty quiet.  Which was new to me, since my early ride days are usually on Saturdays.

I rode north and then northeast to Camp Randall Stadium where I headed back southwest on the Southwest Bike Trail along an old rail line through slumbering neighborhoods.

Prior to the ride the bike was cleaned and lubed for the season at Atkins Bicycle Shop in Verona and was ready to go.  The bumps and divots on the streets seemed to loosen a few bolts, which became more noticeable the farther into the ride I rode.

From the bike trail, I went west on Odana Road where it comes closer to another bike path that runs parallel to the Beltline.  It ends at a tunnel (no, not the one I wrote about last week, this one is closer to Gammon Road) that took me south of the Beltline for a pleasant ride through Elver Park.

The final stretch of the ride led me past these turkeys who moved quickly once they noticed me taking their picture.

As first rides go, it was productive.  The bike made it through in one piece as did the rider.  17 miles in the books for 2015 with hopefully hundreds of miles ahead.

Ride safe!

Comments