Ride Around the Lake

The day started mostly cloudy with temperatures in the 50s - not a perfect day - but not too shabby.  It was certainly a good day to ride.

My ride started heading north toward Middleton where I "discovered" a new stretch of trail.  It's part of the Pheasant Branch Conservancy.  A paved trail along a gurgling creek offered a welcome peak into a new natural spot of which I was previously unaware.

Jotting things down in note pads were a dozen of more nature watchers.  Considering that most were looking up into the trees, my guess is they were mostly looking at birds.  There was a lot of variety to the bird calls I heard during my ride through the forest.

It's interesting riding through a quiet place like that.  There are walkers and quite a few folks out for their morning run.  I also came across a number of folks just using the time to commune with the beauty around them.

Later, after making the turn around the northeast corner of Lake Mendota, I rode through Maple Bluff.  While I've made my up the hill (picture left) many times, this was first time I noticed the Capitol framed in front of me.

You get glimpses of the dome from vantage points all around Dane County.  Thanks to an ordinance that prevents downtown buildings from blocking the view of the statehouse, it is visible to all.

Some views are unexpected, and other times you might look across the lake and wonder where the dome disappeared.

Maple Bluff is a small village along the shores of Lake Mendota and home to some of the nicest homes you will find around these parts.  The Governor's Mansion is there.  It's a beautiful neighborhood with tree-lined streets.

More beauty was on display at the U.W. Arboretum.  It's peak season, and by the time I got there the sun was shining.

Later this week I'll share more pictures from my brief stopover in the reserve.

When I returned from taking pictures of the Lilac bushes and flowering trees, I found a man examining my bike.

Turns out he owns one exactly like it, and was interested in the rear rat trap installed on the back.  It was something I had the shop where I purchased the bike install and I don't know how I'd ride the 'bent without it.

In any case, it was fun to talk about recumbent riding with a fellow aficionado.

After that, it was back on the bike for the last ten miles home.  Another joy of living in MadTown - rides on a combination of city streets, urban trails, and natural paths added up into a very pleasant three hour spin.

Happy biking!

Comments