One Look at Courage

Long time readers of this blog know I work in a retirement community.

Recently, I met with a friend who has made this place home for a while now.

The individual is considered to have low-vision.

Most of us would likely think of it as nearly blind.  With the aid of a magnification system and adaptive equipment on the computer, the person can read if they make the words large enough.

Judging and reading people is more difficult for someone with low vision.  If you are a person they know, they might recognize your shape or the way you walk or recognize you when they hear your voice.

I try to remember when I casually meet someone with low vision that I need to introduce myself.  When I was talking to my friend in their home, I asked how well they could see me.  From about three feet away he could make out some of my face, but not so much to really see a facial expression.

Low vision can develop the longer we live - especially if struck by Macular Degeneration.  It's a leading reason for vision loss in people over the age of 50.  My friend said he first noticed it 15 years ago and it convinced him to put down their car keys for good.  It can start as a small blurred area in the center of vision that can slowly grow.  There is no treatment for it now.

Yet, in the conversation we had I was struck by a positive attitude.

There are challenges and frustrations, no doubt.  But, I am impressed and humbled to observe the way he continues to live independently.

It's a living and breathing definition of courage.  He took the dealt hand and played it.

We all know a courageous person like this - an example and reminder that those things tripping us up are not that big of deal.  When we do get knocked back a step, it's time to take breath, brush ourselves off, and continue our path.

Comments