Narcissist... me?

The internet doesn't have "me" in it, but there is a lot of "I!"

Selfies, Facebook posts, and yes, blogs... go on and on.  And on about our favorite subjects.  Me!  (And you.)

But, here is one relief brought to us by science.

Maybe one of the English teachers I had along the way told me this, or maybe I read somewhere that people who write with lot of personal pronouns could tend toward narcissism.

Journal of Personality and Social Psychology published a study conducted in the U.S. and Germany that determined there isn't a link between excessively using "I" and "me" and narcissism.

I'm sure this doesn't apply to you  (or me), but narcissists possess an unrealistic sense of superiority and self-importance, and are excessively focused on themselves. 
Language may be a clue to the question of who lurks beneath our layer of skin.  But, the use of I and me, may just indicate our vocabulary isn't wide enough when typing an email or penning a letter.
You may want some proof for yourself, so here's a link to the story I read in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal Online.

In the meantime, having floor to ceiling mirrors throughout the house may mean something to those researchers.

Comments