Re-Booted and Up-Loaded

More than six weeks ago, I wrote about the problems I was having with my computer.  It wasn't waking up like it should and required all kinds of special attention before it booted up and allowed me onto the internet.

Jostling the machine didn't make the machine work better, but I was tempted to try the drop kick method as it became more and more recalcitrant

It got worse when I ended up with varying shades of the gray screen of death.  The first few times it appeared with a short list of 7 things I could try (hit control - alt - delete, set on fire, run like crazy) and one method worked.  Until it didn't.

Laboring under the misconception that time might help, I let it sit to consider it actions, or lack of same.  It got mad at me and the gray screen had a three word bubble appear when I tried again, "Really? Fix me."

Yelling at it and yanking its cords couldn't elicit a reaction.  So, I disconnected the tower and took delivered it to Madison Computer Works to see if the documents; photos I shoot for this blog; and music could be recovered.  I wondered about fixing it and asked about just recovering the data and transfering it to a new machine.

Since it took me five weeks to reach this epiphany while trying to keep the daily blog going with posts from various computers; I was glad the recovery and download to a new unit took less than a week.

Since I started working with WISC back in 1989, every job I've had invovled a laptop computer.  Until this position.  Which is probably why, after considering the various options and my primary goals for a home computer, that I chose an ACER - E series laptop.

There is a new operating system to learn and I've dove into the waters of Windows Office 365 for my documents and other processing and storage needs.  I have a lot yet to learn, and I'll probably celebrate or vent them with you along the way.

In the meantime, it feels good to have my own keyboard again.  Thanks for reading!

Comments