Pancake Cafe

The last time I wrote about the Pancake Cafe was in October, 2013.  It's the neighborhood diner closest to our home and after a long time of pursuing breakfasts in other parts of the metro it was time to go back.

Saturday morning a short drive led to the front door of the Cafe at the corner of Gammon and Junction; it was time for a small breakfast to start the weekend.

My tea was hot and warmed up a cold morning.  The warm, fresh blueberry muffin and side of Canadian bacon hit the spot.

Just my second visit, and it won't be as long before the next visit.  The ambiance is small town diner in a modern space.  Friendly servers, good food, and a comfortable room.

It's the kind of place everyone should have to enjoy a decent breakfast or lunch.  That's what went through my mind Saturday morning - that this should be my go to place.

Let's get back to the Canadian bacon for a moment.  I know that's what it's called, but why?  Pizza places in Indianapolis seemed confused when I'd order it, a couple times I got actual bacon.

Yes, everyone agrees Canadian bacon looks like ham.  It tastes a bit like ham.  In the United States, Canadian bacon is salted and cured like bacon, but the meat doesn't crisp up in its own fat and is served while soft and juicy.  What we call Canadian bacon is actually back bacon.

In Canada and Great Britain it's cured and treated differently.  I wonder if they order it for breakfast and their pizzas?

If you want to know even more about Canadian bacon, check out this site... I wager it will make you the hit of the conversation during Easter brunch!

Comments