My Ebay Auction Adventure

I have plenty of Packer gear.  A nice Packer "letter" style jacket that works well at temperatures of 50 down into single digits and a Green Bay parka for real cold weather or days when I might be outside a long time in temps below freezing.

My light jacket is a nice tan that I found in Indianapolis.  A friend and co-worker at the high school embroidered the Saints logo on it for me.  It's served me well for several years, but it was time for a change.

Jackets can be expensive.  So, since I've been introduced to the consignment and second hand shops in the area that's where I began my search.

It was then I turned to Ebay.  In the 20 years since Ebay opened its web portal, I've purchased a couple things and tried selling a few.  The auction purchases were lightly contested, so I never had the immersive, nerve - tingling, adrenalin pumping experience others have enjoyed (or endured).

Looking for a Milwaukee Brewers jacket provided more options than I expected.  So I scrolled through dozens of possibilities, so I sorted for looks, size, and opening bid.  There were two similar jackets for sale, Starter jacket with a retro Brewer logo on the shoulder and Brewers in block letters over the shirt pocket.  There were no action on it, although a couple of folks watching it.  I entered my bid and decided to wait until Sunday night at 10:10pm when the auction closed.

You may enter one bid and raise if you are outbid.  Or you can set a maximum bid and let Ebay do the bidding for you.  Initially, I just made my bid at the minimum requested.

A couple hours before the auction closed I discovered I was outbid by a dollar.  Ah, competition.

Another check, thirty minutes before close showed no additional bids.  I hatched a plan.  I would wait until twenty seconds were left and place a max bid.  That would raise the winning bid by a dollar and respond if the other bidder did the same until I reached my max.

$29. $30. $31 - $32 - $33 - $34 - $35 - $36 - $37 - $38.  I was maxed out and it was within my reach!

Ten seconds remained. 

My heart pounded and my mind raced.   Should I keep bidding?  Sure.. there was free shipping and if you take that into account I could keep bidding and still save.  Besides a new jacket like this sells for $60 or more at the pro shop.

The new max bid was keyed in with 5 seconds to go.  $39 - $40 - $41 - $42.

I won!  The jacket was mine.  Yay!!!  "I hope it fits.  Will it look like its picture?"

After paying at the electronic cash register, I watched my email for shipping updates.

A mailing label was printed.  It arrived at the post office (in my city, it turned out) then was driven 90 miles to Milwaukee.  From there it landed on another truck for the trip back.  The package was put on another truck and moved to my town and finally into the truck used by my mailman.

It fits.  It is essentially new - the tops of the buttons are not scuffed. 

Now I feel ready for baseball season.  Go Brewers!

Comments