How long... Mr/Mrs?

Maybe it's just me, but have you noticed that in your life there are some people you have to address as Mr. Jones or Mrs. Smith?

Jumbled though it might be, it is very difficult to make the transition from using titles to calling the adults you knew as a kid by their first name now that you are a certain age.

It seems titles for teachers and friends of your parents stay in place unless they specifically tell you to call them Robert or Jean.  Then you can, but I promise it won't be easy.

Limits on the use of first names do exist.  Mr. Ebeling and Mrs. Redman will always be that to me.  I think it has to do with how old we were when we met.  If I was on my own when meeting for the first time, it feels less awkward to call someone by name.

Yes, in my current professional setting where most of the folks I work with are deserving of the respect and civilized greeting of using titles.  But in most cases, they prefer to be known as John or Peggy with the title of Dr. left behind.

I don't need to be addressed with a title. But it is appreciated, especially when from someone younger.

What I find jarring is when the person behind the check-out counter calls me Dave because that 's the name on the debit card.

I get that it's friendly, but it would be a lot friendlier in my opinion to hear a pleasant "Good Day."

Comments