Where to Sleep in a Storm?

You live in the northern half of the country long enough and you will experience a couple of snow days.  In our youth, they are joyous unexpected celebrations of freedom.

My first college era job was at the Christian radio station KDMI, Des Moines.

Jack of all trades could have been my title at the station.  During the week, I ran errands using the company car to make pickups and deliveries to the Post Office and helped organize the reel to reel tape library.

I had the most fun on the weekends when I had the opportunity to be on the air.  Since the station played a lot of pre-recorded programs after introducing the tape; giving a station identification; and the weather forecast I would either have some time for class work or spend time preparing tapes for outbound mail.

Late night shifts started at three, we signed off at midnight.  Then came the storm.  It wasn't really a snow storm, but a giant ice storm heading for Des Moines.  That meant our disc jockey might not be able to get in on time the next morning, and I had to spend the night.

You might think stations would prepare for such circumstances, and ours did, to a point.  The president's office had a couch with removable cushions that could be used for a make-shift bed.

The cushions were made of vinyl and not a blanket in sight.  I also had to wake up in time to warm up the transmitter and get the station on the air.

I think I managed a couple of hours sleep.  Of course, I was 19 at the time.  Now I'd be lucky to be able to get to sleep at all.

Comments