No Fear

Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; 
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah: 40: 30-31

The first time I climbed the ladder to the first take off point on a zip-lining venture there were a few nervous butterflies in my stomach.

My eyes informed me that it wasn't that far to the ground in the worst case scenario.  And I understood intellectually that the equipment was strong enough to support my weight.

"Just listen to the instructions and you'll be fine," I reminded myself as the guide ran through the list of things we should and shouldn't do before we zipped.

I loudly said, "Zipping" and heard the command, "Zip on," and pushed off the platform.  A small jump in my gut and the butterflies were gone and I enjoyed the trip.  When I arrived at the first platform, I was excited and eager to go again.

Like a newbie zip-liner, after a fun and safe trip the fear was gone - replaced by the excited anticipation of the next trip.

You may have a different kind of activity that went about the same for you - being apprehensive at first, then looking forward to the next opportunity.

That's what Isaiah reminds his readers in the verses above - we don't need to worry or suffer through needless worry.  Mother eagles sometimes have to push their little ones to the edge of the nest before they fly, discovering after that first step they can soar.

We too can fly, confident that amidst the turbulence that brings us down or throws us off course that our Lord renews our strength for the long flight.

Comments