Superstitious... Who, me?

I suspect the whole idea of whether someone is superstitious or just avidly loyal might be two sides of the same coin.

Despite the bad end of the Packer season, I am and will remain a strong fan.

As I've written, part of my ritual for watching the games is deciding what Green Bay Packer gear in the closet is wear for that week's game.

It might be the customized jersey with Packer t-shirt under it; one of the dozens of Packer hats; and Packer socks.

It may extend to the Packer tie, Packer polo, or Packer dress shirt.  And flying the Packer flag.

When the Packers win, I wear that gear the following week.

Superstitious?

I don't think so.

My pattern may appear to be part of a superstition, but it is not.

Just because I choose what I wear and repeat it does not mean I believe that what I wear; where I sit; or what I eat or drink has any impact on the team's performance on the field.

If it did, and if it worked - then no changing of gear would be necessary!  The Packer clothing is just part of my personal enjoyment of the game.

Lose, and the gear goes to the back of the drawer, rack, or cap bag.  Win, and the clothes see the light of another game day.

Yet I'll proudly wear the Packer paraphernalia even after a loss.  The Green Bay shareholder dress shirt came out the day after the punch in the gut loss on Sunday.

It's part of the fun - it's part of the ritual of game day.  But superstition?  Not a chance.

Go Pack!  (this fall)

Comments