Packers 26 Cowboys 21

Let's start with what it was not...

It was not Ice Bowl II.

It was not an incorrect call (if you watched, you know what I mean).

It (the call) did not change the game's outcome.

By our standards, temps anywhere close to 20 in early to mid - January is almost balmy and certainly not icy or frozen.

The call, which I would have expected to be the same if it was to Jordy Nelson, followed the rule and precedent.  Games in prior years, going back as far as the 1998 NFC Conference Title game had a call where a ball moved by the ground while in the grasp was incomplete.  When I first saw the play, it looked like the ball was jarred loose upon falling to earth.

If the replay didn't change the call from complete to incomplete; I don't think it would have meant the team's goose was cooked.

The way the game played out in the second half had me confident that Aaron and his line would move the ball downfield for the winning touchdown or tying field goal.  As #12 said several months ago, "R-E-L-A-X."

From the stirring edition of the National Anthem (I stood for it and removed my hat) to the opening defensive series... it felt and sounded like the Packers and the Lambeau faithful had their game faces on.

A family trip meant I was in front of a television in a Hampton Inn instead of my usual perch on the couch, but I brought the 'lucky' Packer SB45 hat, Packer SB31 Sweatshirt, Green Bay Packer (block letters) on Packer gold t-shirt, and Packer socks.

That meant I also opened the window since that afternoon in Phoenix the day warmed into the low 70s. 

My guess is that some housekeepers and some guests wondered about the occasional thumps, shouts, and cheers from the room on the third floor.

Despite a good start with Eddie Lacy running the ball, the Cowboys made some plays and threatened to create a big lead before the defense made some plays and Aaron moved the ball into Mason Cosby's range to draw within four at the half.  (One of the few things this game had in common with the December 31, 1967 game... it was the same score as half-time of the Ice Bowl, but the temp was 50 degrees warmer.)

Down eight late in the third quarter, the Packers started to move and the fans started to cheer.

Here is where a crucial thing happened.

Back in the first half, after Green Bay marched down the field for their touchdown I took off my shoes to be more comfortable.

A touchdown hiatus ensued, until the second half when I put my shoes on and the Packer comeback began.

Not saying I had anything to do with it, but a guy has to do what he can, right?

It was a fun and exciting game, and gives fans another week to look forward to and a game to plan around on Sunday.

I'll wear the same gear.  And, yes, Aaron... I'll keep my shoes on the whole time.  I Promise.

Comments