Boot, Re-boot, and out the door!

If you have owned a computer for any length of time you have experienced the joy of computer glitches, mistakes, and royal catastrophes.

Recently, the dependable Dell Vostro 200 I've been using for too long, is becoming a bit obnoxious when it comes to starting up.

Maybe it is operator error?  That's always a good first choice when it comes to computer dust-ups, but me thinks there is a gremlin or whole population of little computer gremlins now living inside the box full-time.

Jokingly, a few weeks ago I started thinking about things I could do to improve the old machine's speed by moving various items off the hard-drive and into an external memory.  A "stripped down" machine has to be faster, right?

It must have heard me, or read the words of my plan typed out in email because two days ago it started taunting me.  Powered up, it cycles past the little Microsoft insignia and shows the icons in formation on the desktop when it shuts down. 

Like a brat sticking his tongue  out to torment their 'lessor,' the box then teasingly begins to power up again.  It cycles into the booting up and arrives at the desk top.  Minutes (or less) later, it goes cold again.

You just want to "re-boot' the thing the real old fashioned way at this point, but doing so might mean the several hundred photos and other documents in its memory could be lost.  Forever.

So, after taking my mug off the retractable cup holder and sitting through "Safe Mode" and "System Restore" - I hold my breath that this suitcase sized machine will work again for another couple of weeks.

At least until I can download all that data!

Comments