The Day After Christmas

It was the day after Christmas,
And nothing was stirring.

The only sound heard was the whirring,
The whirring and buzzing of each brand new toy;
That soon would be busted by their own girl or boy.

The stuff not broken was on a short lease,
As the people receiving wanted relief.
It seems that their lists were lost in
translation,
As who on earth wants a one day vacation?

Days off from work were taken in time,
Giving two, even four days, not losing a dime.

I was tasked with assembling toys,
But with instructions in Dutch I was having some trouble,
Tab A in slot B seemed simple enough
Yet, holding two pieces while glue started drying
Did not seem to work - despite all my trying.

The calls and the tweets that came from the mall
Indicated the shopping season was not at all over.

Sale-ing through kiosks and carts was delightful,
The pet place even had stuff for Rover.
All remarkably priced half-off or higher
Made it seem irresistible.
The fact there's no pet - a point to small to quibble.

From under the tree I heard a clatter,
So I got on my knees
To see what was the matter.

So what did to my weary, blood-shot eyes appear?

It was an unopened gift!

What have we here?

In the whole house it was eerily quiet
Red wrapping and bow - no one had untied it.

With the small package
I sat in my chair,
Dust on my knees.
Needles in hair.

On the tag was my name
From whom, it said not.
So I pulled the small string
And loosened the knot.

Inside of the box
(And I kid you not),
Was a paper with lines and several big dots.

I turned it and looked to see what it might be
When writing appeared letter by letter.
As words began forming
I took off my sweater.

My heart beat much faster
As these words I read...
"Christmas ain't over,
And I am not dead."

It was quite a message,
One that made me pause.
Wondering if Christmas was missing a claus.

The preacher said Jesus
Is not for one day,
He came to save all -
Quite a gift I would say.

I thought of the words
And picked up my Bible,
To read every word
From Jesus' disciples.

There it was in stark black and white:
Christmas is for you
In you I delight,
Sin is defeated;
I've won the fight.

-------------------------

For more, I suggest starting with John 3:16.

Comments