Decorations

There are some folks who get their Christmas decorations up in the middle of summer or at least in the late fall before the leaves hit the ground.

Then there are the folks who wait for the calendar to flip into December, or at the very least, wait for the Thanksgiving leftovers to be served before grabbing the Christmas holiday decorations.

Most years, I'll get the Christmas decorations out of the basement after Thanksgiving.  This year the days rolled past me a little quicker than others, so I'm just getting to it now.

Just for this year, the plan is to have a more simple display.  Now, defining simple may not mean the same thing for everyone, but in my vision of the 2014 Christmas it's a wreath and some roping for the balcony.  It's a tree with some lights and ornaments.

It's a Nativity scene front and center to keep the meaning of the season at the forefront.

Looking for the simple style of Christmas is not simple.  It still requires going through the boxes and barrels to find the simple beneath the clutter of excess.

Youthful memories take me to the living room of my grandfather.  I don't know how old I was, but I remember my mom asking her dad where his Christmas tree was that year.

He said he wasn't getting one.  I remember mom telling him that wouldn't do, and he better get out some decorations.

Decorating for Christmas changes over time.  How we want to decorate changes even more.  It's great news that the Love we receive because of Christmas never changes.

Comments