More Packer Memories

Mike McCarthy walked toward the sideline before the game.  He was a little hard to spot because there was no number on his back, and once on the sideline he wouldn't face our direction.  What surprised me from where I sat was that the final clue it was Coach - the red challenge flag in his back pocket.

Jerking that flag out of my pocket could be very useful in my day to day life.  A person gets in front of me in line, throw the flag!
I might use the flag to revisit minor arguments at home, or get a second opinion from someone at work.

Looking at the Packer players clad in Blue and Gold for the Acme Packers was a big change from the "normal" Green and Gold.  It looks OK.  Of course, if some of the Blue and Gold is on an NFL jersey, that doesn't hurt either.  I wondered what backup QB Matt Flynn (Left) and Aaron Rodgers talk about before the game?
Years ago in 1992, General Manager Ron Wolf traded for a third string quarterback on the Atlanta Falcons.  He apparently knew something no one else did, because Favre became the "man" in Green Bay.

He was tough, charismatic, a leader, and most important - a winner who changed the Packer culture along with Coach Mike Holmgren and a pretty good defensive player named Reggie White.
Favre retired, then un-retired in 2008 - but by the time he changed his mind, the guy the Packers drafted in 2005 had been anointed the new "man" in town.  Aaron Rodgers sat behind Favre three seasons before getting the reins in 2008.  Except for seven games missed last year due to a broken collarbone and a single game in 2010 for a concussion - the Pack have had 2 starting QBs since 1992.

That's amazing - and a reason why Green Bay has been good for 20 years.

Rodger's first year or two was a little rough.  Some fans missed Favre's swash-buckling style, but over time Rodgers has won them back and more.  His ability, precision, and high completion percentage have warmed the hearts of Green Bay faithful.  It's a big reason the stands were so electric last Sunday.

A woman sitting next to me at the game pointed at the guy waving the big flag around in the end zone after Packer scores, "Next year, I'm going to do that!" she said.  "It looks like fun," I replied, thinking that it was probably a lot harder to wave that big flag around than it looked from the 27th row.

More fun, to me, would be the opportunity to catch a Packer leaping into the crowd like Jordy Nelson (#87, right).
Since last Sunday's game was a big one, the video game perspective camera hung above the field.  It's controlled from the ground using a set of wires strung from each corner of the stadium and several pulleys.

The camera can get behind the offensive team and look over their shoulder to provide the kind of view that the Madden Football games has made so popular.  It makes me feel like I'm out there.

The feeling in the stadium last week made me feel that way too.  Great defensive plays, like Julius Peppers (left) pick six, pulled me on my feet with arms raised and shouting touchdown when he was still 30 yards from the score.  Micah Hyde (Micah Hyde-e-ho) returned a punt 75 yards and it was clear he would score after his first move.  Time and time again, a force pulled me to my feet, heart pounding and voice loudly cheering.


I hope it's not 13 years until I get back to Lambeau for a game again.  But if it is, there were hours of memories integrated into my personal hard drive for many years to come.  Memories to recount to friends and family while we participate in more Packer contests from the couch.

As the players crossed the field to shake hands and head to the locker room; we slowly climbed the stairs and out of the stadium, each step pumping blood into very cold toes.  The walk back to the car seemed longer than the walk in five hours earlier - pleasantly weighed down with visions and memories from a Packer victory.

They play at Minnesota tomorrow, playing outside for the first in the Twin Cities since the Metrodome opened in 1982.  Until the new Viking stadium is finished, the team in purple will play on the University of Minnesota field in the elements.

I'll be warm, on my couch, watching and cheering for the Pack.

Comments