Last Ride for 2014

There is usually something that catches my eye that I haven't seen before or haven't seen in a very long time.

Yesterday, there were two things.

My first notable sighting was on the Capital City bike trail.  A unicyclist.

Just out for a ride along the trail, apparently.

I read last month that Madison has a growing number of people taking to one wheeled travel, but this was the first time seeing a uni-rider.

Looked to me that this particular rider may have been new since he seemed to be working hard to stay balanced.  However, he was riding and moving at a good pace over uneven pavement.

You have to wonder where they keep their water bottle, or other bike riding essentials.  I have a bag latched to a rack on the back of mine that carries replacement inner-tubes, cash, gloves, and emergency aid equipment.
 
The other unusual sighting was loons.

In Madison, the term loons is thrown about frequently during the legislative session or campaign season.  These were loons on Lake Monona.

Loons don't usual set up residence around Madison, so my guess is there are migrating south and dropped in to see the sights of MadTown.

The latest bike bridge is now open (right).  It's part of the Cannonball Path and an extension into Madison from the Military Ridge Trail; offering safe passage over busy McKee Road.  The trail isn't open north of the road yet, but it will be in 2015 bringing another improvement to Dane County Riding.

Since the Badgers were playing at 11; I stuck around the city for my ride.  It's a great bike city - of the 42 miles I rode, all but 7 of those miles were on bike trails.

On the east edge of the Capital City Trail sits a vast wetland called the E-way.  I plan to write more about it this week.

This was the first time I walked out the boardwalk into the cattail marsh.  During the spring and summer I was concerned about finding lots of bugs to keep me company.

Now that the killing frost has come and gone, it was a a pleasant walk and offered a view of the mixing of the marsh as geese, ducks, and cranes arrive for fuel and rest before flying south.

My ride took me past Olbrich Gardens and a view of the waning days of autumn in evidence on the tree-lined stream.

I parked just past the bridge and walked back to get this picture.  Further upstream, toward the back of the picture sits Lake Monona.

It was a great ride to end my riding year.  It was warmer than the rides in the last two weeks, but when I passed through low spots where the morning fog was still hugging the ground the temperature was a good ten degrees cooler.

It was a great day to ride - a bike season that started for me in early May and reached the end of October.  Yesterday's ride, finishing into the 10-15 mile an hour wind out of the northwest, was fun - a three hour and ten minute ride to cover 42 miles for an average of 13 miles an hour. 

I can't wait for the 2015 biking season to begin... keep your wheels on the road and get out there to ride for as many days as you can!

Comments